Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Camera Noise contest: owner of several S8 camera please post

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Basstruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 7th, 2000
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Arrow

    2
    In order to complete my end-school thesis called "Super8 little guide to professional filmmaker" ( around 100pages online here this summer ), I need to do a noise classification of S8 cameras. I cannot find those, do test, & pretend this is objectif since those might have not receive the same service-repair over years & did not used under same conditions. So I thougt about asking each of us to compare there cameras when owning several cameras. So my questions are :
    * What cameras do you own ?
    * Could you class them from the quieter to the noisiest & why ( just louder or different frequency ) ?
    * What's the overall shape of those ( new, used, very used ) ?
    * The comparison you make over what condition ( witch speed ? Loaded or unloaded ? )

    Feel free to put any cameras in it.
    If two camera you own have already been compared by another(s) poster(s) & you thoughts are the same than him (them), please notice it.
    Remember that the more I get answer, the most objective the final qualification will be.
    Thanks,
    Matt

    PS : If you not already have, please post as well in the Lens Qual. Contest post

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 30, 2003 05:19 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

    --------------------

    Original message reinserted by the moderator to keep the entire topic thread intact.

    ---------------------

    I feel it is a little moot to compare camera noise but i put a few below that stand out. Note that some of these came in and went right out without me filming with them.

    Nizo 2056 is the quietest I have tried.

    Nikon Super Zoom 8 was susprisingly quiet for a non sound camera.

    Kodak Supermatic 200: awfully awfully awfully awfully loud. Camera died last night as i ran it (heard a crunch then a twang and now its dead, send donations to cameraguy's S8 fund)

    Elmo 1000s is very quiet. the only camera that is comparable to the Nizo sound line of cameras.

    Canon 814 XL-S is kind of noisy. Its a smooth sound though.

    Beaulieu 4008 ZM II (IV) Very loud when unserviced but noise was cut way down on a serviced unit.

    Memory is weak on most others since many of the cameras I have owned are long gone. Generally Super 8 cameras are just loud. Even the Nizo cameras make too much noise for indoor filming so if you want silence you have to blimp any camera.

    <font color="#FFFF00" size="1">[ January 25, 2004 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My Bell and Howell MS45 has a medium noise level...not the loudest i've heard, but it is noticeable. When watching sound movies made with it, you can hear the camera faintly in the background on indoor shots, but not at all in outdoor footage.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've read that the Nizo 6080 and others in that family of cameras are quiet. I recall years ago that when I worked at Pro-8mm one summer that they had a Nizo xx80 on display, (I don't remember which model number it was) and it seemed to be really quiet.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member nahie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2003
    Posts
    48
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a nizo 4056 and 186XL. The 186XL is pretty noisy, but the 4056 is almost silent. Yeah, you could probably hear it on an indoor set but when shooting outdoors you can't hear it at all. Very nice camera IMHO.

    -Nahie

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't have any really quiet cameras, but the loudest for certain is my Bolex 150 super.It seems to have all metal gears because it sounds like a truck transmission.

    That being said, it is indestructible, and puts a great image down on film. All this despite being built when Lyndon Johnson was in the White House.

    ...not bad for 5 bucks at a rummage sale.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •